The Government of Japan, in collaboration with the Japan International Cooperation Agency (JICA), has expressed interest in partnering with UNIDO for an agricultural business capacity-building project in two provinces of Pakistan: Khyber Pakhtunkhwa (KP) and Baluchistan. After conducting assessments and consulting with stakeholders, the Project for Agri-food and Agro-industry Development Assistance in Pakistan (SAP ID: 180109) was finalized.
The project aims to enhance the productivity and compliance capacities of actors in the cattle meat value chain in selected districts of Khyber Pakhtunkhwa (Peshawar, Abbottabad, Kohistan, and D.I. Khan) and the apple value chain in Baluchistan (Killa Saifullah, Killa Abdullah, Pishin, Qalat, and Quetta). It will support relevant governmental bodies to provide sustainable services to the industry and promote the adoption of best practices. UNIDO will offer technical support to improve the competitiveness, quality, safety, and value addition of products, leading to increased marketability, profitability, productivity, and access to high-end markets.
Narrative Description of Project
UNIDO awarded the contract to SES to facilitate the infrastructure development plan for the Animal Husbandry In-Service Training Institute (AHITI) of the Livestock and Dairy Development (Extension) Department in Shakarpura, Peshawar, KPK. The plan includes constructing a slaughter hall facility and a model meat shop on the institute’s premises. SES offered technical support during the design phase and supervised the construction work.
SES during the design and construction supervision collaborated with UNIDO’s technical experts, the project team, and the government counterpart to ensure that the upgrade aligns with local considerations and the UNIDO project plan. The project was completed within allocated time-frame and budget as per estimated schedule to the satisfaction of UNIDO.
Description of actual services provided
The SES undertook the following tasks:
- Provide technical inputs based on local considerations to the AHITI Design Plan developed by UNIDO’s international expert.
- Liaise with the international expert, UNIDO’s project team, and government counterparts to gather necessary information and adjust the final design according to construction requirements in Pakistan.
- Conduct geotechnical investigations and tests as required.
- Coordinate with government authorities (Livestock and Dairy Development, Communication & Works Department, etc.) for the AHITI construction approval process.
- Prepare technical documentation to comply with local regulatory requirements (e.g., Environmental Impact assessments, geotechnical reports).
- Develop the bill of quantities and other tendering documents, including method statements, specifications, and cost estimation based on Pakistani calculation notes and standards.
- Assist UNIDO’s project team in creating the terms of reference (TORs) for the construction company and evaluating received offers.
Construction Supervision Phase
- Review and approve material data sheets and execution drawings before implementation.
- Supervise the construction at AHITI premises, ensuring proper execution of civil, mechanical, electrical, and architectural plans.
- Ensure efficient utilization of construction materials, adherence to safety and labor standards.
- Provide monthly reports on the construction progress to UNIDO’s project team.
- Submit a final project report upon completion.